Practical Question Strategy— A 67-Year-Old Man with Cough with Brian Radavansky from MedSchoolTutors | (USMLE Question Dissection)
In this episode we dissect the following practice question with Dr. Brian Radvansky from MedSchoolTutors.
A 67-year old man presents to the Emergency Department with a 2-day history of progressively worsening cough. He has a history of poorly-controlled hypertension, 30 pack-year smoking history, well-controlled diabetes, and a STEMI 4 years prior. He complains of mild sharp chest pain while coughing, some shortness of breath while walking around his apartment, and lightheadedness when standing up. Vital signs on arrival are HR 114, BP 100/55, RR 26, T 101.9 ℉, SpO2 86% on 4 L nasal cannula. Physical exam is significant for general ill appearance, decreased breath sounds in the right lower chest, tachypnea, tachycardia, and use of accessory muscles of breathing. His is somewhat alert and oriented only to person and place. ABG shows pH 7.29/pCO2 60/pO2 69. EKG shows Q-waves in the inferior leads.
Which of the following is most likely to improve the patient’s clinical status?
- Vancomycin and Piperacillin-Tazobactam
- Aspirin and Heparin
The full post is not yet published. But you can read more high-yield question breakfowns on the MedSchoolTutors excellent blog.
ITB Audio Qbank and iOS Beta App
To get started, first, create a Boardsinsider Account on our website insidetheboards.com
- All of our podcasts in one place organized into playlists for easy studying (also with less ads and exclusive content)
- Mindfulness meditations designed specifically for medical students
- A monthly offering of high yield content (questions dissections, audio qbank samples) available only on our mobile app.
Subscribe to an ITB premium account and get additional features
- Access to 500+ audio optimized board style practice questions in our Audio Qbank. The Step 1 version is powered by Exam Circle and the Step 2 Version is powered by OnlineMedEd. New questions added each month.
- High Yield Pharmacology (powered by Lecturio) with 100 of the top pharm questions you need to know for both Step 1 and Step 2
- Audio Flashcards (coming soon)
Our audio qbank is THE PERFECT companion for studying for the boards on the go. And we're adding content and improving it all the time.
Learn more about the Audio Qbank by InsideTheBoards mobile app here
InsideTheBoards is not affiliated with the NBME, USMLE, COMLEX, NBOME or any professional licensing body. InsideTheBoards fully adheres to the policies on irregular conduct outlined by the aforementioned credentialing bodies.
Music: "Anaesthetist" off The Mindsweep by Enter Shikari (used with permission).