USMLE Qs: Answer ‘Em like You Wrote ‘Em plus Med Schools & Med Studs as Moral Agents (Advice from ZDoggMD and Edmund Pellegrino)
In today's episode, the main feature is a detailed breakdown of how to "think like a question writer" based on Patrick's blog post for Student Doctor Network, Board Preparation: Training for a Marathon, not a Sprint. In addition, we excerpt a section from ZDoggMD's Incident Report, "How to Suck Less as a Medical Student" and Patrick presents a section from Dr. Edmund Pellegrino's article "Med Schools as Moral Agents".
01:50 - ZDoggMD's "How to Suck Less as a Medical Student"
05:55 - "Med Schools as Moral Agents" observations on the state of medical education and obligations of schools to their students. For an introduction to Dr. Pellegrino and his thought, see Patrick's review of "The Philosophy of Medicine Reborn"
16:20 - Answer 'Em like You Wrote 'EM: Approaching board questions from the perspective of a question writer. Detailed commentary based on Patrick's aforementioned SDN article.
InsideTheBoards Study Smarter Podcast
Check out the ITB Study Smarter Series Podcast channel. Go to bit.ly/ITBpodcasts or just click here to check it out on iTunes. We're planning a USMLE Step 2 Study Smarter Series in the coming months, covering each of the required clerkships and how to study for the shelf exam and the USMLE Step 2 and COMLEX Level 2.
ITB Audio Qbank and iOS Beta App
To get started, first, create a Boardsinsider Account on our website insidetheboards.com
- All of our podcasts in one place organized into playlists for easy studying (also with less ads and exclusive content)
- Mindfulness meditations designed specifically for medical students
- A monthly offering of high yield content (questions dissections, audio qbank samples) available only on our mobile app.
Subscribe to an ITB premium account and get additional features
- Access to 500+ audio optimized board style practice questions in our Audio Qbank. The Step 1 version is powered by Exam Circle and the Step 2 Version is powered by OnlineMedEd. New questions added each month.
- High Yield Pharmacology (powered by Lecturio) with 100 of the top pharm questions you need to know for both Step 1 and Step 2
- Audio Flashcards (coming soon)
Our audio qbank is THE PERFECT companion for studying for the boards on the go. And we're adding content and improving it all the time.
Learn more about the Audio Qbank by InsideTheBoards mobile app here
Legal Stuff and Credits
InsideTheBoards is not affiliated with the NBME, USMLE, COMLEX, NBOME or any professional licensing body. InsideTheBoards and its guests fully adhere to the policies on irregular conduct outlined by the aforementioned credentialing bodies.
Thanks to ZDogg MD and Doc Vader for their kind permission to use this excerpt. To learn more about Health 3.0, listen to the Incident Report podcast anywhere you find podcasts, and go to ZDogg's website to watch the short video "What's Health 3.0"
"Med Schools as Moral Agents" (Pellegrino ED. Medical Schools as moral agents. Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc. 1977;88:54–67.).
Board Preparation: Training for a Marathon, Not a Sprint. Student Doctor Network, Jan 10, 2017 available at this link.
Music: Better Days, "Tired Bones, Weak Minds" from the album What You Did to Me. Listen to Better Days on Spotify.