Inspired by the HBO series Chernobyl, we’re running a series on the biological effects of radiation and its therapeutic uses within radiation oncology. We interview Dr. Greg Thompson, a radiation oncologist (and one of ITB’s earliest supporters) while providing some education on radiation biophysics, answering questions about radiation that you might have after watching the Chernobyl series, and also covering diseases related to ionizing radiation.
In this first episode, we discuss rad onc as a specialty, explain the nature of ionizing radiation (alpha, beta, gamma anyone?), and breakdown a USMLE practice question that answers the question from the Chernobyl series: why do they talk about giving potassium iodine to those affected by the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.
02:49 - What is Rad Onc and what do Radiation Oncologists do?
05:35 - How to get into Radiation Oncology
09:49 - ITB's Crowdfunding Campaign (Companion Video here is way funnier)
10:29 - Chernobyl: What Happened?
13:09 - Biology and Physics of Radiation
18:52 - Effects of Radiation (explained by the CDC)
19:10 - Ionizing Radiation
19:52 - Effects of Radiation continued
21:37 - What does the radiation do to them? (From the HBO Series)
22:40 - USMLE Style Question
24:00 - Potassium Iodide - Why give it to people with Radiation exposure?
24:50 - Alpha, Beta, and Gamma Radiation
Check out all of ITB's Podcasts on our BRAND NEW Website
ITB Audio Qbank and iOS Beta App
To get started, first, create a Boardsinsider Account on our website insidetheboards.com
- All of our podcasts in one place organized into playlists for easy studying (also with less ads and exclusive content)
- Mindfulness meditations designed specifically for medical students
- A monthly offering of high yield content (questions dissections, audio qbank samples) available only on our mobile app.
Subscribe to an ITB premium account and get additional features
- Access to 500+ audio optimized board style practice questions in our Audio Qbank. The Step 1 version is powered by Exam Circle and the Step 2 Version is powered by OnlineMedEd. New questions added each month.
- High Yield Pharmacology (powered by Lecturio) with 100 of the top pharm questions you need to know for both Step 1 and Step 2
- Audio Flashcards (coming soon)
Our audio qbank is THE PERFECT companion for studying for the boards on the go. And we're adding content and improving it all the time.
Learn more about the Audio Qbank by InsideTheBoards mobile app here
Sources, Credits, and More Resources
Thanks to Ike Potter, producer of the ITB Main Podcast, and Christopher Breitigan, ITB's creative director, the executive producer of our Chernobyl series and the genius behind @ITBsides on Twitter.
InsideTheBoards is not affiliated with the NBME, USMLE, COMLEX, NBOME or any professional licensing body. InsideTheBoards and its partners fully adhere to the policies on irregular conduct outlined by the aforementioned credentialing bodies.