The Medicine of Chernobyl Part 2: Radiation Effects, Misconceptions and the Acute Radiation Syndrome
This is the second episode of the Medicine of Chernobyl, inspired by the HBO series of the same name. Continuing our discussion with Dr. Greg Thompson, a private practice radiation oncologist, we go over the consequences of exposure to ionizing radiation, radiation misconceptions, and acute radiation illness.
01:10 - What do people misunderstand about radiation therapy?
02:45 - If I receive radiation, am I then radioactive? Should I be around others?
05:00 - The range of health effects that occur when exposed to radiation: an excerpt from the CDC's Radiation Basics (Made Simple)
07:20 - What cancers in particular are sensitive to radiation? Are there features of malignancy that indicate they might be more or less sensitive to radiation therapy?
12:42 - Biology and Physics of Radiation
13:40 - A firefighter presents with a burn to his hand after responding to a radiation emergency.
17:00 - Acute Radiation Illness, side effects of radiation therapy, and what causes them.
22:20 - The components of acute radiation syndrome.
24:45 - A 54 year-old male engineer complains of vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain after an exposure to radiation.
26:30 - The prodromal phase of acute radiation illness and the determining effects of radiation exposure
Check out all of ITB's Podcasts on our BRAND NEW Website
ITB Audio Qbank and iOS Beta App
To get started, first, create a Boardsinsider Account on our website insidetheboards.com
- All of our podcasts in one place organized into playlists for easy studying (also with less ads and exclusive content)
- Mindfulness meditations designed specifically for medical students
- A monthly offering of high yield content (questions dissections, audio qbank samples) available only on our mobile app.
Subscribe to an ITB premium account and get additional features
- Access to 500+ audio optimized board style practice questions in our Audio Qbank. The Step 1 version is powered by Exam Circle and the Step 2 Version is powered by OnlineMedEd. New questions added each month.
- High Yield Pharmacology (powered by Lecturio) with 100 of the top pharm questions you need to know for both Step 1 and Step 2
- Audio Flashcards (coming soon)
Our audio qbank is THE PERFECT companion for studying for the boards on the go. And we're adding content and improving it all the time.
Learn more about the Audio Qbank by InsideTheBoards mobile app here
Sources, Credits, and More Resources
Thanks to Ike Potter, producer of the ITB Main Podcast, and Christopher Breitigan, ITB's creative director, the executive producer of our Chernobyl series and the genius behind @ITBsides on Twitter.
InsideTheBoards is not affiliated with the NBME, USMLE, COMLEX, NBOME or any professional licensing body. InsideTheBoards and its partners fully adhere to the policies on irregular conduct outlined by the aforementioned credentialing bodies.